SAVVY MUMMAS | Survival Swimming

22:06

Probably my most favourite activity with my little one year old is swimming. She absolutely loves her weekly lessons; seeing her splash about, launch herself into the water and kick her legs like a manic just makes me beam with pride. However, (and that's a big 'however'), the whole palava of getting ready and getting changed has taken a lot of fine tuning and I want to share my top tips with you all to make life easier. Some tips are quite obvious but I'm writing them anyway just in case you're as forgetful as me. Please do add any other tips and tricks in the comments section or tweet us!


#Top Tip 1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wear your swimsuit/bikini underneath your regular clothes so you can get changed super quick
{Warning: don't wear your cossie with leggings, VPL is never a good look!}

#Top Tip 2
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Keep baby's swim nappy at very top of your bag to get changed into upon arrival 
{Warning: don't put baby's swim nappy on in advance as they hold poo but not wee!}

#Top Tip 3
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Babies often enjoy splashing like there's no tomorrow (and Mummy Panda is not a good look) so make sure you wear a good waterproof mascara/or clear mascara/or curl lashes/or just go au natural! If you do turn up with regular mascara on, best to whip it off before as I promise you it will end up all down your face. 

I've tried quite a few waterproof mascaras but the best value one for swimming I find to be 'Maybelline The Colossal Go Extreme Waterproof' at £6.99



As far as foundation goes I don't bother, instead I slap on Olay CC cream £9.99, moisturising, anti wrinkle and a bit of colour. Don't want to waste my more pricey foundation. 

#Top Tip 4
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wear your hair up in a high bun, or a pretty plait – you can try and keep your hair dry but it's almost impossible. 
{Warning: if it's cold, consider taking a hat to shove on afterwards, there probably won't be time for blow drying}

#Top Tip 5
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Get your baby a hooded/poncho style towel and take it with you to the poolside. As soon as you're out of the water, whip off your baby's swim pants and wrap them snug in the towel. I am also considering getting myself a towelling dressing gown to keep myself warm!
{Warning: before you whip them off do a quick check in case baby has decided to have a little poop. I heard gasps today as for the first time ever, I didn't check, and my little sausage had decided to produce a watery sausage of her own, thus inspiring me to write this post} 

Mothercare £9.99




#Top Tip 6
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Talc, talc, and more talc. Helps the dampness. We love Burt Bee's sweet smelling Baby Bee Dusting Powder £6.99, (it's not actually talc, it's made from natural cornstarch and it smells heavenly) but if you want to save that for nice bathtimes at home, you can get small bottles of Johnson's that are great for the swimming bag. Perfect for your own feet too.
{Warning: don't wear black, you can never brush off all the talc}



#Top Tip 7
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Take a snack/milk for baby to give them straight after to help keep them happy and calm. 
{Warning: keep it fairly plain to avoid sickness }

#Top Tip 8
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Take a plastic bag with you to shove wet cossies into. 

#Top Tip 9
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unless you want to reenact the scene in Friends where Ross gets his leather trousers stuck to his legs that no amount of talc can remedy, wear baggy trousers/jogging bottoms. I learnt this this hard way and got a know-it-all mother trying to help me pull my skinny jeans up whilst giving me a look of stupidity!

#Top Tip 10
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Admittedly it might not be top of your agenda but please shave that bikini line. Yes we are busy mothers etc etc but no one wants to see any unnecessary horrors getting into the pool. 


Hope this little guide helps, happy splashing Mummas ;)

CQx


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Share your opinion with our mums